- Over 200 unspoiled white sand islands and 700 cays make up the Bahamas. Named by Christopher Columbus “Baja Mar” – Spanish for the shallow sea in which they lie – the beautiful islands of The Bahamas stretch from just north of Cuba and up alongside the east coast of Florida, separated from the USA by only 50 miles of the Gulf Stream. At the core of the islands you’ll find a big heart, open arms, and a way of living life that is both timeless and new.
- The main tourist areas are New Providence, home to the capital Nassau and the famous Cable Beach, and of course Paradise Island. Both offer a distinct blend of international glamour and tropical ease, giving travellers freedom to do everything or nothing at all. The trade winds that blow almost continually give The Bahamas a warm agreeable climate all year round, the beaches abound with water-sports and the crystal clear waters offer a paradise for divers and snorkellers.
- The natural beauty of the water extends to the thousands of miles of shoreline, which has some of the world's most stunningly beautiful and unsullied beaches. From the pink sands of Harbour Island and Eleuthera to the deserted strands of the Exumas and San Salvador, there is a lifetime of beaches to experience. Further inland are gardens and National Parks with rare and endangered species, such as the exotic Abaco Parrot and the Bahamian Iguana.
For the best in sun, sea and sand for couples or families The Bahamas has it all!
- Capital: Nassau, New Providence Island
- Flight Time: 10 hrs to Miami, 1 hour onto the Bahamas
- Time Difference: GMT – 5 hours
- Language: English
- Currency: Bahamian dollar
- Visas: No visas required for Irish passport holders
Temperature Chart: See sample
Hotels at this destination
Atlantis, Paradise Island
Paradise Island is 1.8 miles from Nassau overlooking the beachfront. Transfer time from the airport is 30 mins.
British Colonial Hilton
Situated on downtown Nassau’s only private beach and the site of Old Fort Nassau. Transfer time from the airport is 25 mins.
Superclubs Breezes Bahamas
Located on Cable Beach and only three miles to Nassau on New Providence Island. Transfer time to the airport is 20 mins.
Paradise Island Harbour Resort
The Paradise Island Harbour Resort is a waterfront hotel on Paradise Island, featuring great views of Nassau Harbour. Transfer time from the airports is 30 mins.